Saturday, September 25, 2010

Bulletin Board

This Summer I made a bulletin board for the middle school room at church. I took pictures of the process knowing that this whole blog thing was on my to do list. Yesterday, I was talking with my dad when he asked what my next blog was going to be. I told him it was, "how to make a bulletin board". To which he replied, "can't you just buy a bulletin board?" 

Of course, you can just buy a bulletin board. However, they can be expensive, especially if you need a custom size (like we did). 


Here's what I did. I went to my favorite place . . . .Home Depot.
I bought one 4'x8' sheet of white building board (it's kinda like dry wall) for $15, and four 1"x3", 6' strips of pine for $5 each.


We needed a bulletin board that was 4'x4', so I cut the building board using a box cutter. (BTW - The sharper the blade, the cleaner the cut.)



Then  using a miter box, I cut the ends of each pine strip to a 45 degree angle. 


Then I lined up each pine strip against the building board before marking the opposite end to cut. 


Everything got painted black. (with paint leftover from the kitchen cabinets)


Starting with the strip that was going across the top, I glued, then screwed it into place, making sure it was level.



Then the board was glued and hung with screws before adding the rest of the strips.  


 Here it is. Complete with pictures from Summer camp. 


Thanks for reading! This night owl is going to bed now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment