Thursday, September 23, 2010

Staff Meeting Dinner

Once a month I cook dinner for the Middle School Ministries volunteer staff. It's my way of showing them how much I appreciate all of their hard work and sacrifice. 
I try to have some sort of theme for the dinner, and since it's September/the beginning of fall/the start of school, I went with an apple theme. The menu was Apple Barbecue Pork Sandwiches, Blue Cheese Coleslaw, Cheesy Hash brown Potato Casserole, and Carmel Apple Trifle for dessert. The pork and potatoes are my mom's recipes, the coleslaw was a new recipe I tried from Barefoot Contessa (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/blue-cheese-cole-slaw-recipe/index.html) , and the trifle was a new recipe from Taste of Home Magazine (http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Colossal-Caramel-Apple-Trifle).


The potatoes are everyone's favorite. (http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1950,144185-231196,00.html) The pork is so easy it's ridiculous. It's a pork loin roast (5-7 lbs), a can of apple pie filling, and a bottle of barbecue sauce (I used a generic brand, original recipe) cooked in a slow cooker for 8-12 hours. 


 I thought the coleslaw was really good (especially when added to the sandwich). When I make it again I will greatly reduce the dressing amount. I had already reduced it by at least a quarter, and it was still too much for me. I would at least cut it in half the next time. 


My plate. I used Hawaiian Sweet Rolls for the sandwiches. 


Caramel Apple Trifle
I reduced the recipe by about a quarter, and it was still plenty to serve our crowd of 25. The next time I make this I will make some changes to the recipe. I will cut it in half, possible omit the yellow cake (I didn't see what it really added to the texture or flavor.), and add more caramel.


All in all, it was a successful meal, with only a few things I would have done different. I think I will go have some leftovers for lunch!

1 comment:

  1. Those potatoes (which, by the way I am eating right now) are soooooooooo good!!!

    ReplyDelete