Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sink Project

Here goes nothing. . . . . This is one of my all time favorite projects. 2 years ago, my husband took a new job and we moved into a new house. Our new home gave us the ability to entertain large crowds, with that comes a lot of dishes to be washed (my least favorite chore). I soon became dissatisfied with my double sink. (Our previous home had a single basin sink that was huge!) However the sink was Corian and built into the counter top. One day I had the idea that if I found a drop in sink that was large enough, I could cut out the current sink and drop a new sink into the hole. Then I found it! A drop in sink, that would fit the hole that would be left in the counter top, and it was less than $300!!! It was time to get serious. I have a good friend who is a contractor. He looked at the sink and supports, and told me that my idea would actually work! I ordered the sink and studied up on what would have to be done to accomplish my crazy goal. 
Here is a look at the process.


old sink
unhooked the garbage disposal and other pipes
( I found a youtube video about how to
uninstall and reinstall a garbage disposal)


unhooked the faucet (way easier than I thought it would be)


placed the new sink upside down over the existing sink,
then traced around the new sink to mark where to cut
drilled a pilot hole (aka the point of no return)
then came the very dusty process of cutting out the sink,
I used a hard surface blade for my jigsaw
At this point in the cutting process,
I realized that the sink was going to fall
when I was finished cutting.
I was home alone, so I started taping the cut sections
to the counter top as I went along.
The tape held the old sink up long enough
for me to get a good grip and lift it out. 
it's gone!
the dry fit (sorry it's blurry)
installed the faucet (a birthday present from
the same friends who have pestered me
 into this whole blog thing),
and installed the new drain with
plumbers putty for sealing purposes 
ran a bead of caulk around the underside of the sink,
put the sink in place,
 hooked up the hot and cold water,
and reinstalled the garbage disposal
(probably the hardest part of this whole process)
caulked around the edge of the sink and voila!!! 
I love the result of this project! I have been using my new sink for about six months and it works perfectly! The whole process was easier than I thought it would be thanks to youtube, and some patience. This reminds me . . . I need to go do some dishes.

1 comment:

  1. You amaze me! Looking forward to more of these adventures. Gotta love those pestering friends! You're so blessed to have them!

    ReplyDelete